American blackjack is a popular version of blackjack, or 21. It is played in casinos throughout the world, with many people unfamiliar with the game confusing it with other variations. It’s hard to fault them though, there are subtle differences between American blackjack and other versions of 21.
When referring to American blackjack, several versions of blackjack can be categorized as American blackjack. These include Atlantic City blackjack, Spanish 21, Vegas Strip blackjack, and many more. Finding purely American blackjack is difficult, with each online casino adding its own rules and flair. Below, we’ll explain to you the basic rules of American blackjack, how it’s played, and a basic strategy you can use.
Top US Casinos with American Blackjack
American Blackjack Rules
As mentioned, there are a wide range of blackjack games that fall under the ‘American blackjack’ category. But US players will find that these games have the same fundamental American blackjack rules.
- Games use six to eight decks of cards.
- If the dealer’s up card is a 10 or an Ace, they can peak at their hole card (the face down card).
- Dealers must always stand on a soft 17.
- The payout can either be the standard 3:2 or 6:5.
- Players splitting Aces means they can’t get blackjack.
- Players can double down on any hand total.
- After splitting, doubling down is allowed.
- Splitting is allowed up to three times.
- You can only split Aces once.
- A late surrender is allowed.
How to Play American Blackjack for US Players
The point of any game of blackjack is to beat the dealer by getting a score as close to 21 as possible without going bust (scoring over 21). Each card in the deck has set value, while the Ace can either be a 1 or an 11, depending on what works for you. The numerical cards count as much as their number. However, face cards – i.e. Q; K; J, count as 10 points. A basic game of American blackjack goes like this:
- Each player receives two face-up cards and the dealer gets two face-down cards.
- The dealer checks their cards but doesn’t show them to the players unless it’s a blackjack (an Ace and a 10-point face card).
- Players then place their bets depending on the cards they have.
- They can then choose those to stand (keep their cards) or hit (get another card from the dealer). Players can ask to be hit as much as they like.
- Once the player rests his hand, the dealer will begin dealing they have 17 points.
- The winner is determined if their first two cards equal 21. Alternatively, if the player’s hand totals less than 21 points but is still more than the dealer’s hand, they win.
- Furthermore, if the dealer goes bust (gets over 21) while the player remains under 21.
- If there’s a tie – a push – no one wins.
Basic American Blackjack Strategy
These are some general strategies players can use when playing American blackjack.
- If the dealer has a hand that’s between 2 and 10, and your hand is between 4 and 8, we suggest you hit.
- When your hand scores 9 and the dealer’s hand is lower than yours – around 2 – up your bet.
- If you’ve got a score around 12 and 16 and the dealer’s is low, stand as the dealer is more likely to go bust.
- A score between 17 and 21 means you can stand – the chances of going bust are higher in this situation.
For more tips and strategies, visit our online casino games guide. If you need a little more detail on other games, here are some more Blackjack guides for American players:
Online blackjack is one of the most popular casino table games in America and its or a good reason. As a fan favourite, most of the top US online casino sites enlists blackjack variants in their games collection. US gamblers can play confidently knowing that playing blackjack for money on the internet is legal in the USA. Playing blackjack online increases a player’s chances of winning, with the house edge reasonably low for the 21 card game. Learn more about the blackjack card game, how to play blackjack the right way and all the variants of the game.
Types of Blackjack Games
American players are saturated with several online blackjack variants that they can choose from. Each variant of the blackjack game has its own rules and blackjack pros approach the game differently. Here’s a list of several types of blackjack games available at top US casino sites:
Blackjack Surrender Online
Played similarly to the classic blackjack table game, with the only significant difference being the ability to forfeit a round after being dealt the first two cards.
Caribbean 21 Blackjack
This version of blackjack places significance on the ace card, choosing to deem its value as a ‘hard’ as opposed to 1 to 11.
Atlantic City Blackjack
Originally from the United States, this variant of blackjack lets gamblers split their card hands up to three times.
As the name would suggest, the game traces its origins in Europe and is, therefore, a little different. European Blackjack is played using two decks of cards and doubling down is not allowed.
In this blackjack variant, players have the option of switching their top cards after the first four cards have been dealt.
Blackjack Double Exposure
In this variant dealer’s cards are dealt face up, ‘exposed’ from the first round of the game.
Live Dealer Blackjack USA Games
While this may not be a variant on its own, it features a cluster of blackjack games played against a live dealer online. Players that prefer versing a real dealer instead of a random number generator have to make sure that the casino has this functionality before they sign up.
How to Play Blackjack Online
Playing this game of chance, you heavily rely on luck to be on your side. However, strategy goes a long way in ensuring that a player’s chances of winning increase. We’ve collected easy to follow step to teach players the simplest way to play blackjack online.
- 1: First and foremost, US players must choose a blackjack variant they are comfortable with.
- 2: The is a casino chips tab that will let players set the betting denomination as well as add chips to the blackjack table.
- 3: Draw cards once the bet is made. Two of the player’s cards will be face up, and only one card generated for the dealer will be face up. The other card will be face down.
- 4: Depending on the hand that the player has, they have the option of drawing an additional card by pressing hit button. The alternative is the stay button that effectively means you keep your hand.
- 5: Once the dealer’s cards are face up and they have an ace, US players can choose the insurance play. This condition allows players to be paid out before the dealer has blackjack.
- 6: You compare your cards with the dealers to see which player is closest to 21.
Blackjack Online Game Terminology
New players to the online casino gaming environment would be lost if they were expected to follow the game of blackjack having never played it before. We compiled a blackjack glossary of some of the most frequently used terms in the game below:
- Bust: Used to refer to the total of a player’s hand being over 21.
- Hit: Draw an extra card.
- Double Down: The option of drawing more cards and doubling the bet.
- Split: The act of splitting two cards of a single hand and forming two separate hands.
- Stand: When it’s a player’s turn to play and they choose not to draw an additional card.
Online Blackjack Real Money Games
The best online blackjack US games are played for real cash. Top software providers create titles of the classic table game to be played on the desktop as well as mobile devices. US players can find the best blackjack online for money to play on their Android, iPhone or iPad, Windows Phones and Blackberry smartphones. The graphics of the online casino blackjack games are optimised to fit small screens without diminishing the quality. Using HTML5 technology, players can experience the same audio-visual gaming interactivity playing real money blackjack on mobile devices. Check out our comprehensive Blackjack guides below: